2005-10-10

thanks, mom & dad

This morning's edition of This I Believe on NPR was excellent, perhaps my favorite so far. Read or listen to it here.

"My story is really my mother's story -- a woman with little formal education or worldly goods who used her position as a parent to change the lives of many people around the globe. There is no job more important than parenting. This I believe."

There's a wonderful moment in the essay when Carson shares how his mother used to assign book reports to her kids to keep them reading. She would return them, marked up... but there's a twist that I don't want to spoil. I don't know if the auio will include Jay Allison's introduction and coda to this essay but I hope so.

Keep reading kiddies. As Howard Hendricks likes to say, "Leaders are readers."

No comments: