2006-01-23

driving test results: gray hairs and need for maalox

I mentioned that the new gig involves driving. So much driving in fact that a special driving course with a pass/fail test is required. If you should fail, yer done (I believe one retake may be allowed, but don't quote me on that).

The course and test was today. My training buddy (the same guy who's gone through the previous two weeks with me, training for the same position) and I were in Philadelphia again at 7 am. Another guy joined us as we waited for our instructor. This new guy, call him Bob, had already served in the same position for two years but needed to take additional training.

We learned and practiced through the morning, then broke for lunch. Then the road test, on real roads in center city Philadelphia.

For a number of reasons which I hope to reveal very soon, this was a non-trivial experience. You might be thinking, "City driving? Tense, but no big deal. What's all the fuss about?" Suffice it to say, for now, that everything about the driving experience in this position is new. It really is like learning to drive all over again.

So, back to the road test. It was easily the most nerve wracking thirty minutes I have ever spent behind the wheel. The instructor was teasing me the whole time, it was like going through hazing for a fraternity. Woah. He was hard and he meant business.

When we got back, he said, "See, that didn't hurt." I had no idea what that meant and didn't know the results until he handed me a sheet of paper and told me to report my hours to my supervisor at my office.

I passed. The other two guys did not.

Can you say "Grace of God?" I know I can.
Posted to:

No comments: