2006-03-05

best book, evar?

British librarians were asked, "What books should we read before we die?"

Most of them said: To Kill A Mockingbird.

It's a wonderful book! A touching book! And inspiring book! Enough exclamation points? It's a well written book too... but the most important book? I don't know about that. In fact, there are a number of other books in the full list that I believe ought to place above Mockingbird, and here they are...

  • The Bible
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • A Christmas Carol (because of what Dickens accomplished by writing it)
  • Winnie the Pooh (no kidding)
  • 1984

All of these books did much to shape the times in which they were written (except for maybe LOTR, I just like that one), and they remain influential today.

There are probably other books on the list that I should have noted (as well as some unaccountable absences), but I haven't read some of them.

And I never heard of "All Quite On the Western Front"... I should make quite a point of checking that one out.
Posted to:

No comments: