2006-06-10

jennifer's meme

Jennifer made up a cool meme and kicked it out of the nest. Here it is. You may tag yourself if you wish.

1. When you meet someone new do you trust them or do they have to earn your trust?
I usually trust people right away, often too much.

2. What do you pay attention to when you meet someone or visit with someone you know?
Their eyes.

3. When you were in high school or college what did you want to be when you grew up?
I had no clue.

4. If you could have any career now what would it be?
Writer.

5. Name a life changing moment that made your life better.
Smiling at a cute girl in the University of Rochester post office. I'm married to her now.

6. Name a life changing moment that changed your life for the worse.
Deciding to get an MBA instead of something else, like an MFA.

7. Are you a homebody or a gypsy?
A gyspy. If I'm at home more than an hour or so I get antsy.

8. What do you collect?
I don't really collect anything. It requires too much disipline.

9. Do you have a recurring dream or nightmare?
No but I had an awful one last night that I was in some sort of classroom and the instructor kept berating and insulting me.

10. Why did your parents give you the name they did?
I am James Vincent Jannotti, Jr... after my dad.

11. What motivates you?
Relationships.

12. What scares you?
Health issues.

13. What three things do you need most day to day?
Free time, spent alone, with a book.

14. What do you think God is like?
Love.

15. What do you read?
Anything I can get my hands on.

16. Name at least one book you’ve read that’s influenced your philosophy.
Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller & Messy Spirituality by Mike Yaconelli

17. What thrills you?
God.

18. What do you struggle with repeatedly?
Let's not go there.

19. What makes you laugh?
Lots of stuff. I laugh pretty easily.

20. What makes you cry?
There is this song, it's based on a poem from a devotional book titled The Continual Burnt Offering by H. A. Ironsides and Phil Keaggy set it to music. It's called The Maker of the Universe. I've seen Phil Keaggy in concert maybe 30 times and at every show I yell out "Maker of the Universe!" One time he actually honored my request (I'd heard him do the song years before, and this was the only other time I've ever heard him do it live). I cannot hear that song or even think about it without tearing up... in fact, I'm tearing up right now. The lyrics are below, and here is a sample of Phil Keaggy's recording.

The Maker of the universe,
As Man for man was made a curse.
The claims of Law which He had made,
Unto the uttermost He paid.
His holy fingers made the bough,
Which grew the thorns that crowned His brow.
The nails that pierced His hands were mined
In secret places He designed.

He made the forest whence there sprung
The tree on which His body hung.
He died upon a cross of wood,
Yet made the hill on which it stood.
The sky that darkened o'er His head,
By Him above the earth was spread.
The sun that hid from Him it's face
By His decree was poised in space.

The spear which spilled His precious blood
Was tempered in the fires of God.
The grave in which His form was laid
Was hewn in rocks His hands had made.

The throne on which He now appears
Was His for everlasting years.
But a new glory crowns His brow
And every knee to Him shall bow.




Posted to:

No comments: