2005-05-17

so, i'm strange

Try this recipe. I call these "Not Lemon Cookies" since my wife made lemon cookies, which I don't like, and these are my response:

1 & 3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup regular sugar
1 T molasses--the darker the better.
1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla extract***
2 eggs (large)
1 tsp baking soda
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter and 1/2 cup Smart Balance*
2 large handfuls of chocolate chips (heh-heh; daddy's in the kitchen now!)
2 shakes** of espresso (very finely ground espresso roast coffee--I use LaVazza).

Don't pre-mix the dry ingredients. Just throw it all into a mixing bowl, except for the chips. Mix it on medium speed (I use a kitchenaid mixer at speed 3) until its dough-ish and smooth. Throw the chips in by the handful (you did wash your hands, right?) and finish mixing.

Drop the cookies using a wooden spoon onto a lightly greased sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. 12 minutes if you prefer, but I like them slightly underdone. Enjoy with a freshly brewed french press of Starbucks Italian Roast, which is what I'm doing right now.

*you can obviously use all butter if you want the super high calorie version. Oil is a no-no.
** this is achieved by holding the can over the mixing bowl and gently shaking it twice so that some of the grounds fall into the bowl.
*** We make our own vanilla extract by sticking 5 or 6 whole vanilla beans into a 750ml bottle of Vodka and letting it sit for 40 days. After this, the beans are still useful for making vanilla lattes!

No comments: