2005-12-17

advent devotional: the Lord of the Dogwood

This week's Advent devotional is written by my friend Jim Pennock, a member of my church. Jim had never written for our church's devotional before so I specifically asked for one from him this year. When he sent it he called it a "poor excuse for a devotional." I'm posting it here because I doubt you will agree with him. I certainly don't.



MY FIRST ADVENT DEVOTIONAL

Scripture: John 8:12 – Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

When I was a young boy of about 14, I was hunting small game in the woods near my great uncle’s farm. It was dark in the woods and cool for spring. I had been out for 4 hours with no luck hitting anything.

I had a new 40-pound pull bow and wasn’t used to it yet on moving targets. I had given up shooting any more and was looking for tracks and scat, so I didn’t notice it till it got a lot brighter. I had walked into a clearing with one white dogwood tree in the middle of it. It must have been noontime because the sun was shining down on it. At that time I wasn’t very close to God, but I remember saying, “Thank you God for this small miracle of beauty.”

While attending Bible study, I was hunting for the understanding of God. Guess what I found just like that small miracle of beauty? The light of the world snuck right up on me as I was hunting for clues about it. Everything just fell into place, like it was already there before.

Thank you Jesus and your supporting cast, the pastors of my church and fellow members.

Thought for the day: May more of the light shine through us then on us.

Prayer: Thank you God for the Light of the World, the dogwood tree pales before Him.

--Jim Pennock

No comments: