2006-01-21

no, you may not have my number

The new work I will very shortly be doing requires me to work by myself, unsupervised in various locations throughout the day. I will be driving a fair amount to reach these locations, some of which are about as rural as you can get in this part of the country.

So I did it. I can't believe I did it and I'm not proud of it, not at all.

Today, I purchased a pre-paid wireless phone.

The number of this phone will be jealously guarded. In fact, I don't even know it yet, I'm still trying to figure out how to work the thing.

Don't worry, I will not be like the person described here*. In fact, the biggest risk with this particular cell phone user is that my service will expire before I remember to buy some more minutes.


*The real purpose of this post is to get you to read the linked article in wired, which I think is very good, especially this paragraph:

"In public places, you have an obligation to hold up your end of the implied social contract by not imposing yourself on those around you. This is crucial to a civilized society and just because technology allows you to act like a braying ass in public doesn't mean you should do it. Quite the contrary, in fact. You need to be more aware of your surroundings than ever."


No comments: