2005-10-07

google reader: it's beta than nothin'... but not much

The Google Reader's initial incarnation is nothing if not underwhelming. I have to keep repeating to myself: "it's beta so it'll get betta,"

I certainly hope so.

I imported my bloglines subscriptions. The first problem was that I couldn't get the import to work. It worked with Pluck on the first try. Later on this evening, it did work with GReader.

Once I got them listed, GReader defaulted to giving me the most recent posts (across all feeds) first, no matter what I thought I was telling it to do. This is not what I want. I want to see which blogs have posted fresh stuff. I can't figure out how to make GReader show me a list of new posts sorted by blog in the same order as my subscription folders have them. Also, it keeps asking me what I want to do with these new subscriptions even after I click on the "click" link again and again. I guess it's the reader's way or the highway. "Well, here I am, on the road again."

Bloglines kicks all others' butts, but I still wish for more.

I'm a Google fan. I like most of their offerings but I think they're generally falling short in the blog resource department. I'm hoping they'll bring this one along pretty quickly, but for now it's just an exercise in frustration.

No comments: