2005-10-16

i thought it was just judge judy and stuff

It was about 12:30am when I finally accepted reality: sleep would not come soon. So I came downstairs and turned on the TV. That, I suppose, is unremarkable. People turn on their TV's all the time. What is remarkable is that I watched the TV while it was on. That hardly ever happens.

I'm sure you know this already, but late night TV is way more interesting now than it was when I used to stay up all night watching Friday Night Videos (I did not remember that it was an NBC show. I was even more surprised to learn that it lasted until almost 2001. My goodness!)

Last night I discovered the late night offerings on Court TV. There was a show called the Forensic Files, and some show about a criminal profiler; I couldn't remember her name despite it being mentioned every 7.63 seconds.

All the episodes I saw featured similar situations. To begin with, someone gets killed. No one knows how. The show's main character is also stumped despite their superior insight and crime solving ability. After some period of time (I think it's typically a couple of years) there is a break in the case. This happens when either the perp drinks from a cup and leaves it lying around (forensics experts love this, it's all about the DNA), or the perp commits another crime in another place, typically involving a car (profilers love to figure out what happened in cars). Sometimes, as seems to be the case with this episode, it's a combination of these things.

The mystery is ultimately solved and the jury doesn't deliberate very long before bringing in a guilty verdict.

I know Court TV is probably old news to everybody but me, but I was fascinated. Not fascinated enough to willingly stay up and watch this stuff, but the next time I can't sleep, Court TV will be just the ticket.

No comments: