2005-09-11

pepper day consequences

Had one of those Jamaican Hot Chocolate peppers with my dinner tonight (I smoked a rack of ribs and made some Ancho-Garlic barbecue sauce to go with 'em).

The pepper farm classified the heat factor of their peppers on a 1 to 4 scale. Jamaicans were 4's.

I didn't really eat the whole thing. I just cut tiny pieces and had them with a morsel of rib meat and barbecue sauce. The pain was memorable. I'm still not right. I might have some more tomorrow for lunch.

UPDATE: Not that anyone asked, but I thought I'd post the recipe for Ancho-Garlic barbecue sauce, as best I can remember it (with optional smoking instructions)

butter for sauteeing (you can use oil instead of course)
1/2 Fresh Ancho Chili (I used a fist sized Ancho Mulato) cut fine.
3 good sized cloves of fresh garlic, crushed
3/4 cup of ketchup
1/3 cup of good quality Maple Syrup
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
3T apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp of dry mustard
dash of worcestershire sauce
pinch or two of salt, if desired

Saute the garlic and the pepper in butter over moderate heat for one minute, stirring briskly and constantly. Remove from heat and add the rest of the ingredients in any order you like, stirring as you go. Return to low heat and simmer for 1 hour or more. Let stand to cool for a couple of minutes and then puree the mix in a food processor or food mill.

Optional second phase: Transfer the sauce to a small cast iron pan and place it in your smoker with whatever you're cooking. It should sit in there for another hour to get a mild smokey flavor to it, but it still tastes great if you skip this step.

No comments: