2006-10-11

hmmm, what to blog?

Because I delivered the mail both yesterday and today (and being that yesterday was the day after a holiday, which meant that there was a ton--that may actually be an undertatement--of mail to deliver), I haven't been able to think about much. But what little thinking I have done has been on the subject of grace.

The reason for this has to do with the Ralph Paul Incident (latest update here) as well as what seems to be turning into a series of posts at RC's place*.

In addition to these things, Eric is going through some stuff right now but managed to write an update today that is simply fragrant with grace.

And of course, there was the demonstration of grace by Amish mourners last week. That one was stunning; personally I feel blessed simply to be living in the same state as those who live grace so richly.

But the deeper I think about it (not too deep, probably, I mean it is me doing the thinking after all), the more I come back to a suspicion that we don't even know what grace means. Literally. I wonder if we have an adequate definition of the idea. RC quotes the definition of used by one of his commenters,

mercy, clemency or a pardon as well as elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion, or action.


All you have to do is read that to realize it's inadequate. Is grace one of those "I know it when I see it," kinds of things. Maybe grace can only be revealed by talking about examples. What I mean is, perhaps grace can be illustrated through story, but not really defined.

And where I see grace, perhaps other people see something else entirely. Interesting. What do you think?



*By all means, do read RC's posts on the subject.



Posted to:

No comments: