2005-06-22

yeah, but do they have free wi-fi?

Clive Thompson at Collision Detection has an interesting post about the SETI (search for extra terrestrial intelligence) project, which just happens to dovetail nicely with my earlier post about film. See, the SETI project figures quite prominently in one film on my list, Contact.

I haven't read the paper Thompson links to; I'll get around to it. I think the idea of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is arresting and intriguing and all that. And I'm all for the idea of listening to the universe to see what exactly is out there, intelligent or not. I even find myself agreeing, in a sense, with the idea that an ETI might itself be information.

There is one thing I would quibble with however: the title of the post. We're not alone and never have been.

No comments: